The separation of the Queens-Nassau into two County Medical Societies was made the occasion of a testimonial banquet to Dr. James S. Cooley on January 26, 1921. The Queens-Nassau Medical Society had applied to the Supreme Court of Queens, which was organized in 1806 and became Queens-Nassau in 1899 when Nassau county was formed out of part of Queens. Reorganized, it had a membership of 128. It's officers for the year 1921 were: President Thomas C. Chalmers of Forest Hills; Vice President - Charles B. Story of Bayside and Secretary-Treasurer - L. Howard Moss of Richmond Hill.
On January 1, 1921, the Queens County Medical Society began its existence representing Queens County of today. The number of meetings was increased from four to eight yearly and one of these meetings to be held early in June was to be largely social.
At first the meetings were held in different parts of the county, but this arrangement did not prove satisfactory and hopes of a centralize meeting place became more and more definite. Their culmination of which led up to purchasing land for a Society building. Jamaica was chosen as the most central locality.
On November 8, 1923, the acquisition of land for a building site for the Society and the beginning of a building fund made it necessary to add a Board of Trustees to theOfficers of the Society. The amendment to the constitution which provided for this change further provided that each retiring president shall be elected of the Board of Trustees for a period of five years, thereby a continuity of service for those who have experience in administering the affairs' of the Society.
During the next year in 1925, came the founding of the Bulletin and 1926 saw the birth of the Committee on Graduate Education. Its project was to bring home to the members of the Society the latest and best in medical science. Among its achievements is an annual series of lectures by recognized leaders in Medical thought from all parts of the city. In addition, it organized various hospital services in the county of post graduate clinical instruction.
The history of our Society, like the history of humanity, during the corresponding time has shown consistent growth of social consciousness. Slow and difficult at first but gathering momentum as the needs grew.
Today the Society has over 1, 600 members of diverse backgrounds reflecting the modern day Queens' communities. The Medical Education Committee exists today and continues its work to further educate physicians and continuously improve the quality of patient's care. As the healthcare landscape has become more and more complex in 2021, the focus on insurance and governmental policies have continued to play a large role in the provide care. The Society works to provide physicians with a voice on a legislative level and will continue to do so into the future
Cornerstone Laying for the Society's Building